Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Below we have listed some of the most commonly asked questions to help both the hammer wielding loom smashers and the avid keyboard warriors navigate the online services of PAAS Web. If you have any other webby queries email Don’t forget to include your membership number.
Why am I receiving emails from PAAS?
We have implemented an emailing system for you to receive important updates on the information you need to go fishing. We try to keep the emails brief and include a title listing the waters affected. Emails may not contain all the relevant information but they will include links to where you can find out more, usually within the Members Area. You can unsubscribe from this service but we would urge you not to, if the latest email is not of interest, just delete it. The next one might have important information on your favourite water. Note: we will never share your contact details with third parties and we will never send you marketing messages.
What’s the difference between the Web Site and the Members Area?
Yes, they look the same but they are very different. The Web Site at www.paas.co.uk is essentially our public face on the internet. It’s aimed at encouraging potential members to join our waiting list and to help prospective water owners gain an understanding of the Society. It also allows us to occasionally make announcements to the wider public. It’s perhaps helpful to think of the Web Site as if it were printed, it doesn’t change often. As an existing member, the Web Site itself will be of limited interest.
The Members Area at www.paas.co.uk/membersarea is a very different kettle of fish. Perhaps it’s easiest to think of The Members Area as being hidden behind the Web site. The Members Area is very much a ‘live’ web area, it is linked with both our Waters and Membership Databases. Changes made to the Waters Database are instantly reflected on The Waters Guide and when you renew your membership or book a Balloted Water the change is instant. The News page, (which is also the page that opens after login), provides the latest up-to-the-minute information on rule changes, new waters, emergency closures, and many other items that might have an impact on your fishing today or in the coming days.
To access the Members Area, you first need to register with a username and password. During registration your details are checked to confirm you are a current member. If your membership lapses or you have not yet renewed for the current year access is denied until you renew.
Why do I still see the old web site?
If you have previously saved a link in your Favourites or Bookmarks to either the Public Web Site or the Members Area, it is possible your browser will try to direct you to the old sites at www.paasonline.co.uk You may see either the old login page, a page of nonsense, or something else. Moving on from these pages should return an invalid certificate error. Always follow the link (the big orange button) from the home page at www.paas.co.uk or go direct to www.paas.co.uk/membersarea
What about the Prince Albert Angling Society Facebook site?
We have maintained the PAAS Facebook Page exclusively for junior members.
What are the Forum and Facebook Group?
The Forum or more properly ‘Forums’ at http://forum.paas.co.uk/ and our Facebook Group at www.facebook.com/groups/PAAS are social networking sites hosted by third parties, offered to members to make it easy to connect with and share with other members. Registration is required for both services but unlike the Members Area registration is not instant. It’s also worth mentioning that both services are available to lapsed or yet to renew members.
So what’s the difference between the Forums and Facebook Group?
Essentially not much, you’ll need a Facebook account first to access the Facebook Group but not the Forums. You get automatic updates from Facebook each time there’s a new post, with the Forums you need to log in to see what’s new. The Forums do have a ‘Club Announcements’ section where we repeat information from the Members Area News and likewise posts can be repeated on the Facebook Group, but the Members Area will always have the most up-to-date information. Perhaps one important difference is that Facebook allows anyone over 13 to register where the Forums are restricted to adults.
Can I message the committee via Facebook or the Forums?
You can contact any member of the committee via their email address or phone number in your card or via the contact forms within the Members Area. The committee maintains a policy of not responding to any social media posts. However, our team of moderators may from time to time draw attention to significant issues commented on by many individuals.
Is my personal information safe?
We have invested significantly to ensure that your information is secure, as always you should never reveal your password to anyone else. Full access to your data is limited to just two Data Controllers within the committee and some other committee members have limited access. We have a robust Data Protection Policy based on best practice and government guidance. Our Privacy Statement sets out the general principles and the full policy is available on request. You’ll notice that the only cookies we use are purely functional and we never share your data with anyone. Frankly, your personal information held by PAAS is probably more secure than it is on your own device!
Why does my registration fail when I try to access the Members Area?
There are a few common reasons why your registration might fail:
- Do not enter the prefix letter to your membership number.
- When you register for the Members Area your details are automatically checked against your membership record. If there is an error in your membership record your registration will fail. Contact to update your details.
- A registered email address is required. You may have been a member since before email was widely used and we may not have an email address associated with your membership. Contact to update your details.
- Your current email address does not match the email address associated with your membership. Contact to update your details.
- The username and password must be at least 8 characters.
- You must enter your postcode in the correct format – with a space. i.e. XXX(space)XXX
- You have already registered. Contact " target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> to recover your login credentials.
I’ve registered for the Members Area so why does my login fail?
There are few common reasons why your login might fail:
- Your membership has lapsed or you’ve not yet renewed for the current membership year.
- When entering your Postcode use a space. i.e. XXX(space)XXX
- Don’t confuse your different logins. You may have a different username and or password for the Forums and Members Area. They are entirely separate.
- If you registered some time ago and or have saved your login credentials, locally on your device or with a service like Google to autofill, from time to time you may find you need to re-enter your details manually.
- Don’t copy ‘n’ paste – Type it. Copy and pasting a password or username can result in a space being added at the end and the database recognise the space as a character of the username and or password.
- If a username or password includes the users actual name some devices recognise it and capitalise the first letter confusing the databases.
- You’ve forgotten your username or password. We do retain both your username and password so just message
I can’t login to the Forums. What have YOU done?
- Don’t confuse your logins. You may have a different username and or password for the Forums and Members Area. They are entirely separate.
- Don’t copy ‘n’ paste – Type it. Copy and pasting a password or username can result in a space being added at the end. The server then recognises the space as a character of the username and or password.
- If a username or password includes the users actual name some devices recognise it and capitalise the first letter.
- You’ve forgotten your username. Message Your username can be recovered with your email address. Providing it’s the same one that you registered with!
- You’ve forgotten your password. Passwords are not stored on the Forums servers and the reset function does not work (it’s not our fault). However, a password reset is possible so message
Why is the Waters Map so inaccurate?
The Waters Map at www.paas.co.uk/waters is just a rough guide to prospective members to the range of waters available with PAAS. It is neither accurate nor up to date. We are working on plans to create a ‘live’ geographical Waters Map for members subject to cost.
Where have the What3words listings gone?
As we’ve recently added the new ‘Status’ column in The Waters Guide, the What3words listing is now under the little green plus symbol to the left of each water.
We have adopted what3words to locate at least one car parking location on each of our waters to help you navigate to the water. What3words can be used via your web browser or the free what3word app. The app is available for IOS and Android and works offline which is ideal for waters with unreliable data connection. For more information visit the ‘More’ tab in the Members Area.
Help! I’ve re-sorted the list of The Waters Guide with the little arrows. How to I reset it?
Click The Waters Guide tab again, the page will refresh and reset to the default order. If you’ve search for a water, click the ‘x’ in the search box to reset the list to default.
My details are incorrect in the Members Area. Why can’t I change them?
For security you cannot update or edit your own details within the Members Area. You can reset your password. Contact to update any of your other details.
My details are incorrect in the Members Area. Why can’t I change them
Are there Map Book pages for the Trout Syndicate Waters available with membership?
Yes, there are on-line only versions of Map Book pages of all the Trout Syndicate Ticket Waters in the ‘More’ tab within the Members Area.